- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Course
as from Jon Kabat-Zinn’s work
The course consists of eight weekly 2.5 hour classes and one 7-hour class. This highly participatory, practical course includes:
- Guided instruction in mindfulness meditation practices
- Gentle stretching and mindful yoga
- Inquiry exercises to enhance awareness in everyday life
- Individually tailored instruction
- Group dialogue
- Daily home assignments
- Guided audio files for home practice and a workbook
The course is challenging and life-affirming. The instructors are accomplished and skilled at creating a safe, supportive, and deeply engaging learning environment that allows participants to seek, explore, and inquire.
In this program, you will be able to:
- Articulate the key aspects of mindfulness as it relates to stress reduction, coping with pain and illness and enhancing well-being
- Differentiate MBSR from relaxation and other distraction techniques that may seem similar but are fundamentally and theoretically quite different in contending with difficulty and enhancing quality of life
- Practice and apply mindfulness techniques in both personal and professional settings as a means of contending more effectively with the demands of both settings
- Integrate mindfulness into social interaction with patients, colleagues, supervisors, family and friends to facilitate more effective and mindful communication
- Articulate the potential benefits of mindfulness-based stress reduction (and mindfulness in general) to educate patients and their families about the benefits of such programs in their own lives
- Implement brief mindfulness practices with patients and family members as a means of contending with acute pain, anxiety and distress.
The 8-week MBSR program investment typically runs from $295-495/participant depending on level of expertise of the teacher(s) guiding the process. This investment includes all required course materials, with the exception of the class meeting room/space.
For those with inability to invest the stated amount, please advise as to what amount of investment is possible when registering for the course or inquiring about the course availability for your not-for-profit organization.